Happy Halloween everyone! I couldn't help but spread some Halloween spirit around with todays Friday Finds. I'll be spending my evening spending time with my family while passing out candy, it's become a fun tradition for us over the past few years. I love to see what all the kids are dressed up as! I hope you all have a fabulous Halloween weekend!
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
I've been on the hunt for an affordable pair of distressed black jeans for quite some time now. I was ecstatic to find the perfect pair at Old Navy and on sale at that! These jeans will definitely be on repeat this fall and winter. I love how well they paired with my new Zara blanket scarf too!
Monday, October 27, 2014
I made this delicious one skillet dish last week for dinner. It was a hit with my family and definitely one to make again!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 ups 1/2-inch-diced, peeled butternut squash (from about a 2-lb. squash)
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 - 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 yellow corn tortillas, cut into thick strips
- 1-15 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup reduced-fat colby jack or mexican cheese (or whatever you prefer), divided
- cilantro and low-fat sour cream, for serving
- Preheat your broiler to high.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large oven-proof skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno and cook 2-3 minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Add cubed squash, cumin and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is slightly tender, 8 to 10 minutes. You want the squash to be fork tender, but not too tender that it starts to fall apart.
- Next add the black beans, corn tortilla pieces, and can of enchilada sauce and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cheese. Simmer a few minutes. Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of the enchilada mixture and place in oven under broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese melts and tortilla edges become golden brown. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Top with whatever you would like, sour cream, cilantro, avocado.
Nutritional Information: Serving Size 1/6th of skillet, Calories: 252, Fat 6.4, Carbs 38.5, Fiber 7.5, Protein 12.8
Weight Watchers: 6 Points Plus
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Fall sure makes me crave good soups! This Tomato Basil Soup pairs fabulously with a grilled cheese sandwich on any fall night.
- 1 1/2 lbs Roma Tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme, minced
- 1 (28 oz) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Basil Leaves, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spread tomato halves evenly on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Roast tomatoes for one hour
- While the tomatoes are cooking, melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat
- Add diced onion and sauté for five minutes. Stir in minced garlic and thyme, sauté for an additional five minutes
- Add crushed tomatoes, chopped basil leaves and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer for ten minutes
- Pour in chicken broth and oven roasted tomatoes. Continue to simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Carefully pour soup into a blender (might take a few batches at a time) and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to pot and stir in heavy cream until fully incorporated
- Simmer soup for three minutes, serve immediately
Makes about 8 cups
Weight Watchers Information: 4 Points Plus per cup
Monday, October 20, 2014
J.Crew Factory Vest, J.Crew Factory Sweater, J.Crew Factory Chambray Shirt, J.Crew Factory Necklace, Old Navy Jeans, Hunter Wellies
I'm pretty sure it rained every day last week here in Chicago, so my Hunter boots were a must! And if you haven't already noticed, I do a lot of shopping at J.Crew Factory. If you haven't checked it out yet, you better head over there ASAP (Bonus-you can shop the factory online too!).
Friday, October 17, 2014
1. A delicious Pumpkin Pasta recipe for these chilly fall nights
2. In love with last years Zara scarf as much as I am? This Target scarf will do the trick!
3. Loving these burgundy booties
4. This photo makes me want to redecorate my bedroom...
Happy Friday everyone! After a very rainy week here in Chicago, I'm hoping for some better weather to move in this weekend. I've got a few fun plans lined up for the next couple of days, what about you guys? Whatever it is, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
My mom and I spent last Saturday in the adorable town of Morris, Illinois. We went with the intention of going to a vintage market, which we did go to, but we spent most of our time wandering around the downtown shopping district. We walked in and out of the most darling shops and had lunch at Letty Mae's, the vintage inspired tearoom. If you live in the Chicago area I highly suggest a trip to Morris!
Friday, October 10, 2014
1. A simple, easy DIY fall essential, the chunky knit blanket
2. A retro pair of sneakers, in a fabulous color
3. How to transition your summer staples into the fall
4. It's baking time, Pumpkin Gingersnap Cookies to kick it off
It's finally here, a weekend where I have absolutely nothing to do. That's right, no parties, no commitments, no homework, nothing. I want to bake cookies, carve pumpkins, go for a bike ride, enjoy the beautiful fall weather while we still have it. What do you have planned this weekend? Whatever it is, I hope you enjoy it!
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Vintage Charm Dress (in-store only), Sam Edelman Boots, Deux Lux Clutch, Bracelets: Lily and Laura, Alex and Ani
I picked up this great dress from Vintage Charm last week for my sister's engagement party. I fell in love with the color immediately and the fit was perfectly comfortable. I can't wait to dress it up during the holidays too.
Monday, October 6, 2014
The weather might not have cooperated with us this Saturday, but that didn't stop us from throwing a picture perfect engagement party for my sister and her fiancé. With a little help from Pinterest, we were able to put together a wonderful "Falling in Love" engagement party.
Friday, October 3, 2014
1. A simple DIY Canvas project to spice up your home
2. My mom just bought our first pumpkins of the season and I'd love to turn one into a beautiful centerpiece
3. I've been dying to make homemade donuts and this Pumpkin Spice recipe will be it
4. Fall weather is heading our way and I love this cozy look
TGIF everyone! I've had a busy week preparing for an engagement party we are throwing for my sister and her fiancé this weekend. I'll be sharing some photos next week, so stay tuned! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal that's healthy and filling too? Well look no further, this Chicken and Green Bean Stir Fry (recipe via Weight Watchers) was so easy to throw together and a hit around the dinner table.
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Medium Scallion, chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 Cups Green Beans, cut into pieces
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Paste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
- Add chicken and sauté for 3 minutes
- Add scallions and garlic, sauté about 2 minutes
- Add green beans, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and chili paste, sauté until green beans are crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes
Yields 4, 1 1/2 cup servings
4 Points Plus per serving (not including brown rice as shown)